San Francisco, Marin, and Oakland, CA
The science of orthodontics is about more than creating straighter teeth through the use of braces or aligners. The orthodontic program of treatment now available at Glen Park Dental also can produce a well-aligned bite, an attractive facial profile, healthy airway, and yes, a beautiful smile with perfectly straight teeth.
Glen Park Dental is proud to offer the services of Dr. Ariana Ebrahimian, one of the finest orthodontists in the Bay Area. Dr. Ebrahimian has studied at the Las Vegas Institute (LVI), considered the pre-eminent institution in the country for post-graduate dental study. Dr. Ebrahimian is a believer in functional orthodontics, and comprising treatments with respect to neuromuscular dimensions.
Let’s take a deeper look at our treatment philosophy, and how we use this comprehensive approach to orthodontics to provide the highest level of care.
Functional orthodontics has a treatment goal that goes far beyond just straightening crooked teeth. Using customized oral appliances, sometimes in combination with traditional orthodontic treatment methods such as braces or Invisalign, gentle pressure is exerted to guide teeth into their preferred alignment by expanding the dental arch.
Functional orthodontics also seeks to achieve the ideal oral resting posture: with lips together, teeth together, and the tongue resting lightly against the roof of the mouth. Other treatment goals of functional orthodontics include healthier jaw joints, maintaining an open airway, and encouraging a more balanced and aesthetically pleasing facial profile.
When applied by a well-trained, experienced orthodontist, functional orthodontics in San Francisco can resolve a variety of different issues, including:
- Constriction or obstruction of the airway
- Dysfunction of the temporomandibular joint or jaw musculature
- Excessive wear and/or chipping of front teeth
- Crowding or spacing issues
- Crossbite of front and back teeth
- Limited space for the tongue
- Breathing problems, including sleep apnea
Dr. Ebrahimian can perform screenings on patients as young as 5 years old to detect any problems that may be corrected through functional orthodontics.
Neuromuscular orthodontics is another important aspect of our treatment philosophy. This refers to orthodontic treatment that is applied to straighten teeth and also result in optimal alignment of the bite.
Orthodontic treatment methods
- Braces – A tried-and-true means of producing straighter teeth, braces apply gentle pressure to move teeth into straighter alignment. Glen Park Dental offers braces that include tooth-colored brackets made of ceramic, making them a discreet option while also being ideal for patients with a metal allergy.
- ALF & Crozat Appliances – These light-wire appliances straighten teeth while exerting pressure that is much lighter as compared to regular braces. The ALF encourages positive changes in muscle function, whereas the Crozat works to widen dental arches and promote bone growth.
- Invisalign – Glen Park Dental is a provider of Invisalign, which uses sets of clear plastic aligners to straighten teeth. This orthodontic treatment method is more discreet than braces.
Orthodontics in San Francisco
To learn more about the orthodontic program of treatment at Glen Park Dental or to schedule a consultation, call our office at (415) 585-1500.
Glen Park Dental is proud to serve patients in the areas of Marin, Oakland, and San Francisco, California.