San Francisco, Marin, and Oakland, CA
Installing a crown can restore or repair even a seriously damaged tooth and prevent total tooth loss. Having a crown is more convenient and comfortable than ever before thanks to advances in modern dental technology, techniques, and materials used at Glen Park Dental.
What is a crown?
A crown is a restorative dental procedure that replaces the entire exterior of a tooth that has endured significant damage to decay or injury. The installation of a crown protects the interior structure of a tooth, including the nerves and root.
At Glen Park Dental, we recommend the installation of a crown in the following situations:
- Following a root canal procedure
- When a tooth is severely broken or fractured
- When a tooth becomes weak, misshapen, short, or brittle
- When a tooth has been damaged by an older filling that has failed
- When teeth are discolored but will not respond favorably to whitening treatments
What can you expect during a crown procedure?
Installing a crown only takes one visit at our Glen Park Dental office. The dentist will first remove any area of the tooth that has been damaged or compromised by decay, after which we use our state-of-the-art technology to fabricate your dental crown while you wait! The final restoration will be permanently bonded to your tooth, giving you a completely natural look.
At Glen Park Dental we offer two different types of crowns:
- PFM crowns stand for porcelain-fused-to-metal. These crowns have the same durability as the metal crowns that were used in traditional dental work. High-grade dental porcelain is fused over a thin but strong thimble of metal. These crowns are ideal in areas of the mouth that exert more force, such as molars.
- Metal-free crowns are a great option for any patient suffering from a metal allergy, or for teeth in highly visible areas, such as the very front teeth. Our metal-free crowns are made from high-grade dental porcelain and custom designed to match the shape and color of your other natural teeth.
If you or a member of your family needs a crown, choose wisely. Choose a dentist with experience in restorative dentistry to perform the procedure. Contact our office at (415) 585-1500 to schedule an appointment.
Glen Park Dental provides comprehensive, compassionate, quality oral health care for patients in the areas ofSan Francisco, Marin, and Oakland, California.