San Francisco, Marin, and Oakland, CA
Porcelain veneers fit directly over your teeth in a similar way as enhancement fingernails. With veneers, the perfect shade, and shape can be chosen. However, unlike fingernails, veneers can help correct problems with your teeth like cracks, chips, and uneven teeth. Although they are cosmetic solutions, porcelain veneers, though a bit expensive, can actually be good for your oral health. They are very durable, and they require very little removal of tooth structure.
The Most Common Cosmetic Problems
- Discoloration: Smoking, consuming tea, coffee or soft drinks can cause tooth discoloration. So can a genetic disposition to dull tooth enamel or taking certain medications. Teeth-whitening products may not fully correct the problem. Porcelain veneers can brighten and whiten dull enamel for a sparkling white smile.
- Age: As we age our teeth are more likely to have chips, cracks and uneven surfaces. Porcelain veneers can make aging teeth look young.
- Uneven teeth: Grinding or gnashing your teeth, general wear and tear, and some genetic predispositions can cause uneven teeth. This can lead to bite issues as well as aesthetic concerns with your smile.
The first step in getting veneers or any other type of cosmetic dental procedure is a consultation. The dentist will discuss the details of the procedure, as well as assess your oral health and state of your teeth and discuss your concerns that you have with your teeth. The dentist needs to know exactly what you want so the final product will be what you expect. After the initial consultation, the actual treatment will consist of two separate appointments a couple of weeks apart. First, the teeth are prepared, and temporary veneers are placed over your teeth. Then, a couple of weeks later, your permanent veneers are made and ready to be placed.
Now that you have your new smile
Some care needs to be taken, both the common sense kind for good oral health and some special care to keep the veneers from cracking or chipping. If this happens, the veneers cannot be fixed but must be replaced.
- Do not chomp down on hard objects such as nut shells or bones and do not use your teeth to open packages or to bite your fingernails.
- Brush and floss like you have been, but be sure and use a non-abrasive toothpaste.
- Risk of staining veneers is greatly reduced compared to that of your regular teeth. But most dentists would advise brushing after drinking coffee, red wine or tea just as a precautionary measure.
Porcelain veneers are more costly than resin composite veneers. But they last 10-15 years. Composites last only 5-7 years. They are a great investment in your teeth which are supposed to be an attractive feature for life. Because they are individually made and sculpted, the veneer is a close match to your original teeth. Because they are made with high-quality dental porcelain, the veneer reflects light like a regular tooth. Though you can’t paint designs on your veneers like you can on fake fingernails, they can make your smile as pretty and polished.
Porcelain veneers may be exactly what you are looking for and are reasonably priced considering the results that you will get. You want to look better than your best. The most important thing is to be informed and make the decision that is right for you.
Veneers in San Francisco
Our staff of friendly professionals can make your dental health an easy and stress-free experience. Call your dentist at Glen Park Dental at (415) 585-1500 for an appointment today!
Glen Park Dental proudly serves the Marin, Oakland, and San Francisco, California area!